Blogs hosted on our TypePad, LiveJournal, and Vox services have experienced some downtime today due to a power outage in San Francisco, and we wanted to provide you with the basic information we have so far, as well as where to look for additional updates as we have them.
Here’s what we know:
- The outage began around 1:50PM PDT for all affected services.
- In addition to the TypePad, LiveJournal, and Vox blogging services, the outage affected this site (sixapart.com) and the Movable Type sites (movabletype.com and movabletype.org)
- No data has been lost from blogs, and all of our services should be coming back online over the next few hours as we finish verifying that all of the data is secure. (TypePad blogs are already back online.)
- TypePad and Vox members should have received an email with information about the outage this afternoon. LiveJournal users’ email addresses are never shared with any third parties, so the system used to send mail to TypePad and Vox users couldn’t be used to notify LJ members.
- status.sixapart.com is where we’ll be posting updates as the recovery progresses; LiveJournal users can go to status.livejournal.com as well.
- Once the sites are back up and running, we will communicate details to each community via the usual news outlets: Everything TypePad, the Team Vox blog and LiveJournal News.
We are truly sorry for the frustration and inconvenience that you’ve experienced, and will provide as much additional information as possible as soon as we have it. We also appreciate the commiseration from the teams at many of the other sites that were affected, such as Craigslist, Technorati, Yelp, hi5 and several others.